THE TWENTY FIFTEEN CHOSEN
Chosen /CHōzən/ adjective. 1. having been selected as the best or most appropriate.
There's been a lot of change throughout the course of twenty-fifteen, from the colour of my hair to the people who surround me, I made it my mission to end the year with only the chosen ones by my side. Whether beauty, fashion, or lifestyle related I was minimal and selective in my approach to products, focusing primarily on their efficacy and versatility. The following products encompass my favourites from all genres, and made the previous year a bit simpler, and a hell of a lot more magical.
- Flawless Skin c/o Weightless Foundation – Not a single bad foundation day was had this year thanks to the Too Faced Born This Way Foundation ($49) and Make Up For Ever Ultra HD Invisible Cover Foundation ($50). Released at similar times, both are ultra light-weight and hydrating, and are still able to provide medium-coverage. Also released this year was the Make Up For Ever Ultra HD Invisible Cover Stick Foundation ($50), my go to for bad skin days, which provides full coverage without the weight. Needless to say my foundation team is stacked heading into 2016.
- Chokers – Easily one of the biggest accessory trends this year, chokers came back to remind us that the 90's were QUEEN. And like the rest of the bae-sic b's out there I donned that piece of plastic any chance I could. My current favourite, the black rhinestone version from Aldo ($30) shown above.
- Healthy Nails – For the first time in months my natural nails extend beyond my fingertips, and I owe it all to two products: OPI Nail Envy ($18), and the Deborah Lippmann Cuticle Lab ($48). I used this duo weekly for the latter half of 2015 to keep my cuticles and nails on point - the regime takes no longer than 10 minutes, and results are immediate.
- Fujifilm Instax Mini 8 Instant Camera ($124) – Because who doesn't love capturing memories on a polaroid camera.
- Silver Hair – New hair, new me. With help from my hair angel Nikki at Good Day Hair Shop located in Kensington Market, Toronto I made the transition from brunette to silver. The entire process took 12 weeks, and although I expected the up-keep to be absolutely terrible, my salon visits are something I look forward to at the end of 6 weeks. She also gave me a killer blunt cut, which I keep polished with help from the Phyto Phytodéfrisant Straightening Balm ($32). If you're looking for a new salon you simply can't beat Good Day Hair Shop.
- Contour Palettes – Bless Kim Kardashian for teaching us the ways of the contour. I don't think a single day of 2015 passed where I didn't chisel myself some cheekbones. From powders to creams, singles to palettes, Sephora quickly flooded it's stores with contouring products this year. The best of the best: the Smashbox Step by Step Contour Kit ($52), and the Anastasia Contour Kit ($52).
- Choke by Chuck Palahnuik ($15) – Any time a book tells you to stop reading within the first page, read on.
- Strong Brows – Brows so strong ma-fuckas wanna fine me. But seriously, the combination of the Anastasia Dip Brow ($23) applied with the Anastasia Brush #14 ($24) and finished with Benefit's Gimme Brow ($30) is absolute perfection.
- Knock Off Jewellery – Why spend $8000 on a bracelet when you can spend $40 and no one will be the wiser. Found while shopping in Kensington Market with a friend, these knock-off Cartier Nail Bracelets and Cartier Love Ring rarely left my wrists or fingers in 2015. For 2016 I'm after a Versace Necklace.
- Manly Scents – I read once that men are attracted to women wearing cologne, so this year I gave it a go, embracing perfumes with masculine notes like the Atelier Cologne in Vanille Insensée ($30), even stealing my brothers Chanel Allure Homme Édition Blanche ($85) for special occasions.
- Loose Leaf Tea – My addiction to tea is strong on a good year, but this year it was like I couldn't. get. enough. My all-time favourite, the Saje Eater's Digest Remetea ($17), a blend of peppermint and fennel that soothes the stomach and aids with digestion. Plus, it's delicious!
- Nixon Kensington Gold Watch ($215) - For daily accessories I kept things pretty simple in 2015, opting for my favourite gold watch on days/nights when I wanted to add another element to my look. The all gold design pairs perfectly with my all black outfits, regardless of whether I'm headed to work or the bar.
- Boscia Luminizing Black Mask ($42) – Since I disregarded my skincare routine for the majority of 2015 having an incredible face mask was necessary, and the Boscia Luminizing Black Mask fit that bill perfectly. The blend of Calcium Montmorillonite Clay, Witch Hazel, and Vitamin C makes it a serious skin-saver, removing toxins, brightening, firming and ridding the skin of blemish-causing bacteria. And I can't deny that the childish side of me loves peeling the mask off once dry.
SHOP THE CHOSEN
What were your 'chosen' products for twenty fifteen?
Let me know in the comment section below.